Monday, March 31, 2008

Button, Button - Who's Got The Button?

I used to play that "Button-Button" game when I spent the night at my grandmother's house. She had a large candy tin that she used to keep all of her buttons in. I loved looking through that button box and so is it any wonder that I am still attracted to them today?

Analise (Sugar-Sugar) is having a Virtual Button Swap Party today. Well, actually it was yesterday, but I didn't pay very good attention to the date when she told me about it. No matter though, because you can still check it out by clicking right here. She has the most beautiful pics of colored buttons, plus she has a ton of links to look at other blogger's buttons. Fun, huh?


My favorite (and most used) combination of colored buttons are the ones pictured below. There is something about how they look together that pleases me. Below are some vintage carded buttons that I look for when I go to the flea market or antique mall. I love the illustrations on the cards as much as the buttons themselves. These are some of my Lucky Lady's. . .
And some sweet pale blue buttons. . .
And I call these my Bluebird Button Cards. . .
And my favorite greenish-blue Vogue buttons along with some lovely rose colored buttons. . .
These teeny-tiny buttons were from sweaters and clothing that I wore when I was a baby. My mother always clipped off the buttons and saved them. And I'm glad she did!
I know I said I use those pink, blue and green buttons, at the beginning of this post the most. But I forgot about my collection of white buttons. Maybe I use these the most? Hmmm...it's a toss up, I guess. But I always have a large jar-full of white buttons, including mother-of pearl buttons, on hand. Sometimes you just need a touch of that pristine white or creamy or pearly white to accent something you are creating. I'm sure you know what I mean! And finally, this is my bin of clear buttons. Clear buttons are the greatest (especially flat ones) because they allow whatever is underneath to show through. You can make some neat embellished buttons to go with whatever you are creating, just by gluing the clear button down on a piece of decorative paper or fabric with Diamond Glaze. Let it dry and then trim around the edge and you end up with something like the French text button in the box below. Try it - it's fun!
So those are my buttons! I hope you enjoyed seeing them. If you have time, go read my previous post because I am having giveaway drawing tomorrow night for a darling illustrated cookbook. You must leave a comment on this post to enter.

10 comments:

LiLi M. said...

Hi!
I love to read all those button stories, it seems to me that a lot of grandmothers are responsible for our button love! I like the button cards with the pictures very much. You have a nice collection of loose buttons too!

Alison Gibbs said...

HI Jeanne you have some pretty buttons.
I love your pale blue ones.
It has been fun putting gtogether a few buttons and then looking at everyone elses as well
Alison

leesiebella said...

Jeanne!

What fabulous buttons you have my deary! and... we have a matching button card! Fun!

Thanks for sharing!

xo
Analise

Anonymous said...

come check out my new swap!!
It is called Enchanted!

toodles-
Sarah

Little Pink Studio said...

Gorgeous buttons Miss Jeanne!
~Cerri xo

Jennifer said...

pretty, pretty buttons!!!!

Babsarella said...

What a wonderful selection of buttons. Love them all. I am really partial to mother of pearl buttons, especially when they have carving on them.

Donna Layton said...

Stop it....I love buttons too. I love flat, clear buttons and I have them in every size. I bet I haven't used one in 2 years. I'm GOING to use some on my journal cover. Hope I don't forget.
And vintage buttons...oh, I love vintage buttons. Reminds me how glad I am that you just happened to be the one who got my grandmother's vintage button back when we did that green inchie swap. Makes me smile. It was destiny.

Jen Glover said...

I love your button collection! Oh how I wish my Grandmother had saved buttons! My mother gave me an entire box of outfits and a pair of shoes I wore as a baby. What a treasure! Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I just had to tell you how much I love your work and your blog. Looking at your blog is so much. I'm 12 and I have a jewelry business. I just started a site on ETSY and a blog about my work. I'll be back for more inspiration. Cambria

Related Posts with Thumbnails